Your Roku device is not good for you if you constantly have to get up to change channels, manually navigate the menu or use your phone to do so. While a simple piece of plastic, the remote control is an essential part of the experience. If your Roku remote doesn’t work, here’s how to fix it.
There are two types of Roku remote controls, the standard infrared remote control, and the advanced “point-anywhere” remote control. The standard Roku remote control works like any other by pointing an infrared beam at the box that contains a signal that the device interprets as an action. The Enhanced Roku remote uses Wi-Fi, so you don’t have to point it directly at your Roku for it to work.
Resolving these problems requires some steps that are the same and some steps that are different.
Fix any Roku remote that doesn’t work
- The most basic troubleshooting steps are the same regardless of which Roku or remote you are using.
- Restart the Roku device or disconnect Roku stick from TV. Then, wait for a minute before connecting the device with the TV again.
- Change remote control’s batteries, and check if the remote is working. You can “restart” the remote control by removing the batteries, leaving them for a second and replacing them in the correct order. This can also be effective.
- If you are using an HDMI streaming stick, try using an extension cable with the TV rather than connecting it directly. Roku recommends this for troubleshooting, as HDMI interference is known to interfere with streaming sticks.
Fix a standard Roku remote that doesn’t work
The standard Roku remote control makes use of an infrared beam for sending signals to the Roku player. If the aforementioned steps don’t work, try the following:
- Watch the front of the box to see if it sees the beam. You should see the status indicator blink when the field shows the infrared command. If there is no flash, it is the remote control. If there is a flash and nothing happens, it could be the box.
- Place Roku remote in front of Roku, and press any button on the remote. In case, the batteries are weak, but not fully exhausted, then the problem of changing channels or any other settings will arise. Therefore, it is better to change the batteries.
- Try the Roku app to make sure the remote doesn’t work and not the Roku device.
In case the Roku player does not recognize Roku’s remote signal and the Roku app is working, there is a faulty remote control. Try borrowing or buying one, depending on what works for you.
If the box sees the signal and the status light flashes, there is a problem with the Roku device. If that’s the case, then you should factory reset the Roku device. This is a last resort process, but if you’ve proven that the remote works and the box doesn’t follow the instructions, this could be your only option, especially when if the Roku device doesn’t respond to the mobile app.
Fix an advanced Roku remote that is not working
The advanced Roku remote is operated using Wi-Fi rather than infrared, therefore you will have to use some additional troubleshooting steps. First, you need to follow the aforementioned steps and then, the below-mentioned ones.
- Pair the remote control again by removing the batteries, turn off the Roku, leave it on for a second or two, and turn on the Roku. Once you see the home screen, replace the batteries in the remote. Press and hold the pairing button under the remote control or in the battery compartment until the pairing light flashes. Wait about 30 seconds for everything to sync and try again.
- Pair Roku device with Roku mobile app again. Most often than not, the Enhanced Roku remote control clears the pairing and stops working. In this case, use the Roku Controller app and go to the Roku Settings menu. Select this option to pair a new remote control and repeat the pairing process described above. This “frees” the box to work with the remote control again.
If the Roku device responds to the Roku Controller app, but not the Enhanced Roku Remote despite following all the aforementioned steps, then you will have to buy a new Roku remote. For more informatio you cn visit www Roku Com Link.